Flipped Learning Part 1 - Setting Tasks


Flipping without flopping part 1

Relevant for A-Level

Every year, there is a new idea that it is claimed will revolutionise teaching. Over the last few years, that idea has been flipped learning. Until recently, I had been very sceptical about completely transforming how I teach the A-Level to use flipped learning. Like many teachers who I discussed the idea with, I had some major concerns: what if the students don't do it? Then the whole lesson will be ruined! What if they don't understand it? Then I'll have to change my lesson and teach it anyway. Will I have to mark more? Is there any way that they could understand it as well as if I had taught it to them? So I wrote it off.

However, last year we had a reduction in the number of teaching hours for A-Level classes. As I believed I had used every hour wisely, I knew that I would need to try something drastic to fit in the content. When reflecting on my A-Level lessons, I felt like I was spending a large proportion of them defining new key terms, and that time to practise higher-level skills was suffering as a result. Suddenly, flipped learning seemed like not only a necessary idea, but a sensible one! Students could learn the key terms for the lessons at home, and then we could practise applying them in lessons and focus more on the higher-levels skills.

So I used my gained time before last summer to plan how to integrate flipped learning thoughout the A-Level. I am sure there are many ways to do this effectively, but I settled on two strategies that I thought would work for my students. I teach the extremes of mixed ability, so I focused on strategies that would allow all students to access the basics of the upcoming lesson, with a focus on the key terms and knowledge. I then added challenge tasks that would allow the top end to extend their learning beyond the A-Level course.

Strategy 1 - Prescriptive tasks (my main focus)

Students are given a bullet point list of what they need to know for the lesson. This is generally a list of key terms that they need definitions of, strengths and weaknesses tables that they need to create (for Research Methods content), or the names of theories/studies that they need to describe.

Particularly at the beginning of year 12, I make the tasks completely unambiguous. For instance, with key studies, I make it clear exactly how many bullet points of information they need about the aim, procedure, results and conclusion. I even specify how students should set out their work (see left and above for examples) to support those who have not yet developed the independent study skills to do this effectively. I emphasise to students that I am happy for them to use different revision strategies if they prefer (I find a lot of girls like flashcards for key terms) as long as they still cover the information on the task sheet. This gives them some ownership over the work that they are preparing.

I give students one week to complete each set of 'prep work' and revise the content ready for the lesson.

Strategy 2 - Creative tasks (revision lessons)

Towards the end of the year, I wanted students to be actively revising content outside of class as well as in my lessons. To facilitate this, I divided students into groups and each group was given the responsibility of creating revision tasks on a particular part of a topic ready for next week's lessons. As you can see from the example, each group's content was put onto the same sheet. This was done deliberately so that everyone could see what the lessons were going to be on, and so could revise the appropriate content. I am constantly amazed by the creativity of students. This example resulted in tasks from card sorts to crosswords, a 'Take Me Out' style board game (where the statistical test was looking for its data match) and a 'Guess Who?' style board game (where each statistical test was a different person e.g. 'Sally Spearman'). Students then completed the activities in class in a carousel, and I added activities to the mix afterwards to clear up any misconceptions and ensure the practise of effective exam technique.

Despite my scepticism, after a whole year of consistently using flipped learning, I wouldn't go back. It really works - I teach far fewer key terms and I save class time for higher-level skills. My exam results last year were just as good as the year before, and students' knowledge was still far above the national averages across topics. I've never marked work set for flipped learning - I check that students have done the work over the course of the lesson, but I never take it in. I've never had a problem with students not doing the work, even those who I struggle to get any other homework from always do the prep work. In the entire year, I had one student who didn't do the prep work once. I sent her away from the lesson to do the prep work, and then set her an after school detention to catch up the class work (detentions can be set in our Sixth Form for lack of homework). She didn't make the mistake again. I asked a colleague to independently interview some of my students to assess their feelings of flipped learning, and the overwhelming majority really like it. They feel that they are more in control of their learning, they know what the upcoming lesson will be on, and they feel safe in the knowledge that if they don't understand any of it, they can ask in the lesson and we'll go through it. They commented on how they had realised that sometimes I skipped flipped learning (for instance when we covered inferential statistics), and they appreciated doing the most challenging concepts from scratch in class. They even mentioned how they liked how we could spend lots of time on application and evaluation!

I would highly recommend flipped learning; give it a go and let me know how it works out.

If you are keen to give flipped learning a go but are not quite sure how your lessons would then be structured, comment on here or on Facebook to let me know that you want me to cover how to assess the learning from the prep work for my next post.

Comments

  1. Hi,
    Thank you for this post, I found your explanation of how you use Flipped Learning really interesting.

    I keep being told to incorporate more flipped learning, but with very little guidance on how. Would you be prepared to share an assortment of the sheets you have created?

    You have ignited some ideas that I think I can develop, but would like to use some of your sheets as templates. I would be happy to send you copies of anything I create from your initial resources.

    Once again, thank you for posting about your experience, it has been really useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, thanks for getting in touch. Of course I can share some of my sheets. Just let me know your email address and I’ll send some over to you. I’m glad you’ve found the post useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post! I found it very useful.
    As of next week, I have to go somewhere for a couple of weeks and my classes are being covered (by a non-psychology teacher) so I’m hoping to set the classes ‘flipped learning’ work. We also have to give ‘bronze silver and gold tasks’ and we use ‘DIRT tasks’. Have you got any advice on creating flipped revision lessons (for Memory and Research Methods) as my A1 classes have mock exams coming up?

    May I also get a selection of any worksheets you have? - I hope that’s not too cheeky of me to ask! I’m teaching Schizophrenia to my A2 classes... :)

    Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danya,

      I'm glad you've found the post useful! In terms of revision lessons, I would go with strategy 2 above. They make revision activities using success criteria and then others in the class can complete them. That way you don't have to do anything beyond creating the success criteria, which is perfect if you're going away for a bit. I have worksheets for research methods, but I don't teach memory (my colleague does and she doesn't flip) or schizophrenia I'm afraid. I'll happily send you research methods sheets though (it's not cheeky to ask at all - sharing is an excellent way of saving time!). Just send me your email address and I'll send it over to you.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes! I see what you mean. Thank you so much for the tip.

    Oh thank you, I’d be hugely grateful if you could send me your treasures. dnimir@wmsf.ac.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Relationships – Filter Theory

Teaching Research Methods - Statistics

Teaching Research Methods - Sampling techniques